<VV> The 1965 Corvair trunk latch?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Dec 5 14:09:34 EST 2009

The primary catch has a spring inside the latch assembly. The secondary,
or safety, catch has an external spring wound around a round protrusion
on the front (when installed) side of the latch assembly. With the
exposed spring removed (like the one on the 65 convertible inside my
garage [which is not the car of the story previously published, so it
must be a common problem in these parts]) the primary catch still works
fine, just the secondary catch stays in its retracted (or useless) position.

This external spring looks similar to the secondary spring on many front
engine latch type cars.

I would check my early cars to see how they operate, but they are
currently under 2" of new falling snow. Just a flurry they said....
Been steady since before 10 AM.

Frank DuVal