<VV> Weak brake action

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Dec 5 17:48:34 EST 2009

Ken P had written:

>You have all new stuff now so you may not want to do it all over but
>at least you could add a power booster.  This would also give the
>perfect opportunity to convert to a dual master cylinder.  Remember,
>on an EM the loss of a rear axle bearing means total loss of
>braking, including the parking brake and the clutch!  You have to
>hope for a high curb to rub the tires against :-(
>Ken P

Tony Underwood <tony.underwood at cox.net> wrote:

The response is that an early wheel bearing is gonna give you fair
warning that it's ready to fail.   Regular maintenance and an eye for
potential troubles will keep things in shape so you won't need to
worry about them.

Lost two rear wheel bearings over the years past ... 'fair warning' from the first one [when it was a relatively new car] was stepping on the gas and going nowhere then looking in the side rear view mirror to see the tire / wheel outside the wheelhouse.  I had just made an in town left hand turn so was going less than 15 MPH and was able to just wait till it stopped on its own.  Second time was with an older but low mileage 64. 'Fair warning' on that one was when the wheelhouse flange cut the tire off the wheel.  That car stopped just fine because I was not stupid enough to drive it without a dual master cylinder ... fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me ;-)
Ken P