<VV> driving an old car

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 21:00:10 EST 2009

>Lost two rear wheel bearings over the years past ... 'fair warning' >from the first one [when it was a relatively new car] was stepping >on the gas and going nowhere then looking in the side rear view >mirror to see the tire / wheel outside the wheelhouse.  I had just >made an in town left hand turn so was going less than 15 MPH and was >able to just wait till it stopped on its own.  Second time was with >an older but low mileage 64. 'Fair warning' on that one was when the >wheelhouse flange cut the tire off the wheel.  That car stopped just >fine because I was not stupid enough to drive it without a dual >master cylinder ... fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me ;-)>Ken P

 Ken, the first one was AXLE  failure... not bearing..

The second is Weird... how would  you drive a car like that without FEELING  the vibrations?

Only thing I can think of is a bad press fit... allowing the axle to work out...

I've seen too many EMS driven home with no rollers left!  but still had the axle intact.

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.verizon.net/nalllm