<VV> New modern Forum: younger member chimes in!

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Dec 6 10:07:11 EST 2009

At 09:13 AM 12/6/2009, Ken Wildman wrote:
>Ray:
>
>I understand where you are coming from.  I participate on a number of such
>forums and they do provide a lot of well-organized information.
>
>But, (you knew there had to be a "but" <grin>) they also lack the most
>satisfying aspect of VV -- the free exchange of random information.  There
>is a spontaneity here that disappears when the discussion becomes too
>formally organized.

Ken just hit it.  VV is a bunch of car people who hang out to talk
about their favorite marque and share anecdotes and tips and answer
(sometimes) questions.   It's this free wheeling environment and the
advantages it offers over a strictly regulated and controlled forum
that makes VV successful.

A methodically arbitrary (how's that for an annoyingly contradictory
phrase) and strictly regulated forum loses all that and eventually
will become boring, little more than a dictionary that's not arranged
in alphabetical order.

Annoying content:   In VV we can knock ideas around and 'blow them
up' or reinforce them according to participation by the list
membership without the list Gestapo shouting "Off Topic!" at every
turn.   The moderators here are quite good at watching out for the
list without being tyrants and seldom ever have any issues with its
constituency.

tony..   been a participant in lists where, not just non-canon or
off-topic, but *any* --off-subject-- content at all without changing
the subject line AND providing reasons for such, would result in
ejection from the list or at best, suspension and THAT is the
definition of ANNOYING which WILL (and has) resulted in the demise of
the list for lack of participation

PS  VV suffers not this      usually