<VV> "Fixed Incomes" - NO CORVAIR

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 15:04:10 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/6/2009 8:04:21 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

Because  there was no increase in the cost of living.

???
(wondering if I  heard that right)

tony..

Tony - You probably know this, but the ??? requires an answer.
The COLA - "Cost of Living Allowance" of most inflation adjustments, such
as Social Security and many Union wages is based on an index, which includes
a  lot of different costs. Among them are housing costs -including housing
prices,  fuel costs, including gasoline, and a lot of others. For 2010, the
cost of fuel  went down - from $4/gallon to, about $2 early in the year, now
about $3. Housing  prices collapsed in most areas. Now, your costs may not
have dropped, I own  (most) of a house, and I am not buying another house
very soon, so I don't see  that drop.  And there are other items not
necessarily included in the  COLA index. But the folks who complained about not
seeing a raise when the index  stayed put, (or dropped) were not complaining when
the COLA index raised their  pay as the housing bubble raised the perceived
cost of housing, they took  the money. As I mentioned before, Congress has
usually stepped in to keep the  downward adjustment from shrinking the
"widows pension" Social Security checks.  (Public Relations, you know!)

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette