<VV> Another approach to fixing Corsa - Walt Baranowski

Walter F. Baranowski Jr. wbaranowskijr at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 15:56:56 EST 2009

First of all..........Merry Christmas and a Healthy  New Year to you all!
Now that I have your attention, I would like to hopefully provide some observations regarding the
current discussions being waged on virtual vairs.  Some background, I will be 75 years in 2010 and
have been active in my club and Corsa for the last 5 years.  My first Corvair was a brand new ‘61 500.
I fell in love with my Vair but as things happen ie 4 children and not so much room, I had to move up
to a grocery getter for the family. Fast forward to the early 80’s and I purchased a ‘62 Monza with bad
clutch.  Drove it very carefully during that summer then had to sell for lack of garage space.  My love
was rekindeled.  Fast forward to January 2005, and I purchased a ‘65
 Monza Coupe, joined
 the
Milwaukee Corvair Club and became it’s President in 2007.  I have been lurking on V V almost since
the beginnig reading, learning, and basically enjoying what it has to offer. When I felt I could contribute
I would enter the fray.  This brings me to the latest rant over the value and benefits of the organization
known as CORSA.  When I got my December issue and read the article by Jackson Dell Weaver I
said to myself “Look Out the Shxx is going to hit the fan”  And so it has............and maybe something
good will come of it.  Here is what I think and maybe some of it can be put to use in resolving our
problem.
    Most of my professional career was spent in the non-for-profit world.  I served as and Executive
Director of a major fundraising organization, and also as a fund raising consultant for a national youth
organization traveling from coast to coast and
 boarder to boarder conducting training session in
fund raising and volunteer recruitment.  Those are my credentials, and here is my assesment of what I
think could, might, should be done to resolve our situation.
    1.  We must first decide where we want the organization to go now and in the future. If we feel we don’t have the ability to do this maybe we should get someone from the outside to conduct
    a survey of the membership and then put together a plan of action. I know this could cost money
    but I will address this point shortly.  I can’t believe that with a membership of 4,600 we don’t
    have the ability to take on this task. Also we need to know how much money does the organization need to implement whatever plan it adopts on an annual basis.
    2. Money - Things are tight economically for everyone at
 this time.  My wife and I also live on a
      fixed income..............however, this does not mean that we as a group could not raise a serious
    amount of money to carry on our cause.  A basic axiom in fund raising is that “People give
    to People not to causes”.  Again, it would be incumbent on each one of us to make sure that
    every member of CORSA gave to financing our cause by making a one time gift. Stop and think
    if everyone gave $25.00 to the cause (25 X 4,600 = $115,000). I know, not everyone will partici-
    pate, so if only 50% bought into the program we would well be on our way to finding a solution
    to keeping the organization alive and well.
    3. Membership - That is the 1 million dollar question.  Hell I can’t get my 2 sons or 5 grandsons
 interested in cars and or Corvairs.  I guess the answer will be in the younger guys keeping the
    organization viable in the future, guys like Ray Rodriguez, they are the ones who will either keep it
    going or seeing it disappear into history.
    I hope this gives the Board something else to chew on. Thanks for letting me vent

Walt Baranowski
President
Milwaukee Corvair Club