<VV> EM top of dash clock

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Dec 7 01:27:45 EST 2009

At 12:48 AM 12/7/2009, Louis Armer wrote:
>Hey Dave,
>Leave it alone and leave it original ...................set the time
>like we used to do 50 years ago with car clocks and Big Ben alarm
>clocks.................ask your OLD relatives about the real world
>when that clock was maybe a $5 dealer option !!! ;-)

By the way:   Depending on vintage, the mechanical clocks in cars (at
least GM cars) had a second function to setting the time in that if
it was constantly set ahead (as in the clock dragged) the adjustment
also provided small adjustments to the cycle spring (for lack of a
better description of the coil that cycles the escapement flywheel)
which will slightly speed up the clock each time (no pun) the time is
reset ahead... until finally it will hit a null and maintain the
correct time.   Likewise, if too fast, setting the clock back should
also crank the cycle spring adjustment back a small amount each time
until that null is reached.

Keep resetting the clock and it should calibrate itself... unless the
cycle spring adjustment cam is stuck (decades of damp from a
convertible having been rained in a few times will do it) like it is
on the clock of my Corsa and thus won't adjust unless you dismantle
it and adjust it with a crowbar or something (I just keep resetting
it every other week or so because taking the dash out and removing
the clock to adjust the speed is Annoying).

tony..