<VV> Pan Gasket Question - Age?

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Dec 7 07:38:14 EST 2009

It should work just fine ... even if it has shrunk a bit.  A common thing to do 'in the day' was to soak cork gaskets in the sink until they were back up to size, pat dry with a towel, apply a coat of your favorite sealer and install.
Ken P

chieftam at aol.com wrote:

Hey, quick question.  I was looking through some of my boxes of parts,  and
I found a pan gasket from NAPA, still in the plastic.  It looks like  cork,
it isn't real think though.  It is old however, probably at least 10  years
or more, as I think it came in a box of parts I got with one of my  cars.
Since I have a pan leak, I am going to helicoil a couple of holes  and try
to fix the leak.  I need a gasket.  Will this old one work? Do  they go bad
with age?  Thanks.

Todd in TX