<VV> Playing nice

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 7 21:20:53 EST 2009

Bill,

If you had noticed in my example, I was refering to car lines with BOTH
sedans and hardtops in the same line. Corvairs don't have that condition.
Full-size Chevys from that era do. The Biscayne and Bel Air models were all
strictly sedans, while the Impala had both and the Caprice had only
hardtops. That should tell you that the hardtops were always considered the
premium body style, IF both were available in that body line.

So had the LM Corvair had sedans available along with hardtops, rest
assured that they would have been relegated to the "cheap" 500 line (or
maybe even less, if that had been possible). Point is, by refering to a LM
as a "sedan" is to ignore the fact that it is not, but is of a body style
that was considered a premium style. In effect, it cheapens its real status.

With the EM Corvair no such comparison can be made, since there were no EM
hardtops. It is therefore not possible to insult an EM owner by calling the
car a sedan, because ALL EM (metal-roof) Corvair cars are sedans.

That is why I win your challenge.

-Mark

Concours