<VV> Weak brake action

Charles McKinley cmckinley313 at cox.net
Tue Dec 8 09:22:54 EST 2009

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions sent in by a whole
bunch of you in response to my query below. Now there's a new wrinkle
- I've discovered that I'm losing brake fluid from the master cylinder
even when the car is parked in the garage (which has been almost all
the time the last few weeks.) It takes about a week for the cylinder
to drain from topped up to almost the bottom of the reservoir. It
appears to be leaking from the back of the master cylinder, where the
brake pedal rod goes in. For what it's worth, the rubber boot that's
supposed to be on the rod is absent - don't know if that got missed
when I did the rebuild a dozen years ago, or if it got eaten by brake
fluid, but it's just gone. Also for what it's worth, I never had this
problem (fluid leakage) before I went through all the exercises
described below to try to fix the brake action problem, and I wonder
if I might have popped a seal in the master cylinder with hundreds of
hard pumps on the pedal to check the action. There's no sign of
leakage at any of the joints between brake lines, hoses, or wheel
cylinders, and the action is still very solid as descibed below, so
I'm focused on the master cylinder. Here's my question: would I be OK
to do another rebuild of the MC (for about $30) or would it be smarter
to spend about $70 for a complete new MC? I'm leaning toward the
latter, but would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck