<VV> Communique, Print vs. Electronic or Both Suggestion

John Dozsa yanche at verizon.net
Wed Dec 9 21:55:13 EST 2009

I agree with all the reasons why a print version of CORSA publications
are desirable.  However I think we would all agree that CORSA could
publish an electronic version only for less cost.  That said for those
that want a print version they could pay additional to a non-CORSA run
business to get their on demand print copy.  I'm not talking about home
or office quality computer printer printing, the print quality of the on
demand book publishers is excellent.  It's a cost shifting idea, place
the cost burden on those that want and demand a printed copy.  IF, read
IF, such on demand printers exist for monthly publications, then both
camps can have what they want.  Of course the must have print crowd will
be paying more.  But all would get immediate access to the electronic
version and the print crowd can choose to get a printed version each
month, or if their real desired is just for archive reasons they could
request a single multi-issue bound publication.  Hopefully at lower
costs than paying for the printed version each month.

Let's be clear I'm not suggesting there isn't a demand for a printed
version.  There is.  I'm just suggesting a POSSIBLE way to shift that
cost directly to those that want it.  It's a different business model.
It's leveraging what has happened in the on demand book printing
business to lower CORSA's costs.  Will it work?  I don't know.  But in
my opinion it's worth a look.  Any CORSA BoD members willing to
entertain a different idea?