<VV> Re on-line info

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Dec 11 10:52:23 EST 2009

Ah, no, that's not what I was getting at - the point is that all that
info he's talking about mostly came from CORSA members, *not* VV-only
members.  Not all of it, VV is it's own thing, but if you take a look
at old Communiques you'll find a lot of the same authors.  BTW, Ray
did say in an earlier post that he was:

  - A CORSA member
  - Playing devil's advocate

I'm not picking on him, I'm just using his post to illustrate
something.  Hopefully that's ok with him.

Back in the old days CORSA was, more or less, the only place you'd
find all the things that are on the Internet now.  Back then, if you
wanted to "search the archives" it meant going to some CORSA member's
home and literally searching through old Communiques.  Ultimately this
led to the Tech Guide.  It became clear pretty quickly that if you
wanted to have access to information, the best course of action was to
join CORSA.

Fast forward to now.  Yes, lots of info available to anyone on the
Internet.  Since you don't have to go to someone's house, it's not
entirely obvious that CORSA is where that information is really coming
from.  But without that organized, get out a publication every month,
annual convention, record keeping organization, the Corvair community
would be a lot less vibrant.

Consider how many sites have disappeared in the past ten years
(Geocities, anyone?).  Betting on free sites for something that you
want to have longevity is long odds, IMHO.  That's one reason why the
chapter sites on the CORSA server (free to chapters) are a good idea.
How many chapters have had their webmaster go missing?  There are
quite a few, I assure you.  So, now you have a site that no one can
update.  What to do?  If it's on the CORSA server, you write the web-
help address and get control of your chapter's site.  If it's
somewhere else, good luck.

Ok, I'll stop now.  Ray is either my best friend, or ready to kill
me :-)

--Bryan