<VV> The Rising Price of Corvairs

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Dec 11 12:22:57 EST 2009

  Subject: Re: <VV> The Rising Price of Corvairs

My first Corvair I picked up in 1975. It was on the way to the junkyard due
to front crossmember spread. Gave $30 for the rough but good running 66 500
2dr.
Intention was to cut it into a dune buggy like people did with VWs for more
or less a field car. But I had to move it one day during a snowstorm and
found it went through the snow rather well, much better than my 64 T-Bird.
So the Corvair went on the road.
Went so good as a winter beater I bought 2 others in the next couple years.
A 65 Corca Turbo for $50(because the drivers door would fall off, but I
fixed that). and a 67 500 4-dr right out of the junkyard for $50. Continued
to use them as winter cars. But in 1978 latched onto a real nice 67 Monza
for $35,(along with a 65 Corsa 140, and a 66 Monza 110 auto parts cars at
the same price) The nice 67 Monza was too nice to use in the winter and got
fixed up and eventually became a hobby car for shows and cruise nights.
Several more came and went, all for inexpensive prices.
But this year I did spend the most to purchase a Corvair than I ever did
before. My 66 Monza 110 4-speed, with Ford Probe seats and pontiac rally
wheels. A car needing basically nothing, for $4200. And people still say I
paid too much.
I'm up to 5 Corvairs, and 12 Hobby Vehicles (10 on the road) And the most I
spent on buying one was tha last Corvair for $4200. Of course, a lot of
them I spent some money to fix up..............

Gary Swiatowy