<VV> Rolling wheel well edge

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Fri Dec 11 16:13:19 EST 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Dave Thompson wrote:

> I just got my new tires mounted..Yea! They are P185/70 R13 on 13X5.5
> Cragar
> SS 4-lug rims.
>
> Now, I just went into a driveway at an extreme angle a few minutes
> ago and
> the left tire rubbed at the top of the wheel well opening and peeled
> the lop
> of the 64 wheel well trim down.  I have pounded the trim back into
> position.
> I see that if I roll the top edge of the wheel well up and in a
> little, the
> tire will not rub anymore. I am trying to figure out the best way to
> do it.
> I'm a little scared that I might crack the paint above the 64 wheel
> well
> trim. Obviously I don't want that.
>
> I'm sure there some guys out there that can give me advice on how I
> should
> roll the edge up out of the way.
>
> Looking forward to some suggestions,

On late models, the common way to solve that problem is to actually
cut the wheel opening. I presume earlies have similar openings.

What I've done is to remove the tire/wheel, lay on my back with my
head right in where the wheel/tire goes, and use a small cut off wheel
in a drill motor or high speed grinder or similar and just trim, the
horizontal surface of the wheel opening. It's a bit hard to describe.
I could send a digital pic of the resultant opening.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina