<VV> Carter YH carb rebuild

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Dec 11 22:13:30 EST 2009

"...I remember reading about a ball that replaces a needle...that  will
help stop the fuel leakage after shut down..."

What you are describing is a Grose-Jet valve, and it actually  consists of
two caged metal balls, one large and one small: the large one is the  one
seen at the bottom of the assembly, and is pressed upward by the float  tang.
The smaller ball is positioned above the larger valve, and is forced,  by
the larger ball, into the valve seat. The advantage being the smaller  ball
never rests in exactly the same position in the seat, and--unlike a
conventional needle valve--does not develop a seating ridge. I suppose,  too, because
of the difference in the size of the balls, there may be some  mechanical
advantage developed. That said, using a Grose-Jet valve  did NOT solve my
issue of fuel percolating into my turbo carb  upon engine shut down; what DID
solve the problem was setting the float level  (read: fuel level)
approximately 1/16 inch lower than the stock setting. Also  recommend checking the fuel
return circuit to be sure it is not restricted;  with engine running, you
should be able to hear, at the fuel tank filler  spout, fuel returning to the
tank.

Mike Mauro
64 Spyder