<VV> Rising price of non-Vairs and dumb moves

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sat Dec 12 00:04:35 EST 2009

Reading Matt's Corvair trade history I would like to
relate my biggest automotive trade blunder. My first
motorcycle was a spankin' new Honda CB750 K1 4 cylinder
road monster. At the time one of the fastest bikes
available (note: owner tested to 145 MPH - really dumb!!).
Not your best choice for a rookie motorcyclist. One of my
roommates at college had a very nice 1970 Chevelle SS 454
coupe that he brought to Michigan from Powell, Wyoming. It
was special in that he ordered it with the biggest and
baddest engine available; the 450 HP LS6. He also ordered
a close ratio Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher" four speed and
little else. He liked my bike. I lusted after his
Chevelle. So we traded! The SS had a little over 50k miles
and needed a flywheel. My bike only cost $1400 out the
door.

I fixed the clutch and flywheel and had a blast driving
the 454. However life intervened and I had to find some
$$$ to buy a place to live. I sold the Chevelle to a
specialty used car shop in Saginaw for $2650 and used the
money to buy a mobile home so I could finish college, etc.

Do you know what a numbers matching LS6 Chevelle is worth
today? Yeah, I shoulda kept it. Big Dummy!

The only positive result of this transaction is that I met
my wife, Patty, while living at the mobile home court. So
some good came out of letting go of that magical car. -
Pete