<VV> clutch pilot bushing removal tool

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Dec 12 22:34:06 EST 2009

At 09:20 PM 12/11/2009, Dennis Pleau wrote:
>Four slices of bread $0.20.  This tool $25.00.  I would need to remove 125
>pilot bushings before I broke even.  Actually I don't use bread anymore, I
>have a 5/8 coarse tap which works great.  I got the tap with a bunch of
>tools I bought at an estate sale, so I can't say what I paid for it.  I
>bought a coffee can of taps, drill bits, easyouts (a misnomer) , etc... for
>something like $10.00.

A while back I took out a pilot bushing with a tap, bushing was
rather worn, hence the replacement with new... and afterwards while
piddling around with it a bit I noticed that the tap had knurled the
bronze slightly and that a "reaming" with another input shaft to
smooth things out  made the bushing a snug fit again.

...I didn't put it back in an engine...

But the bushing is still on a shelf in the basement.   ;)

Odd thing about that particular engine:   It came out of a mortified
dune buggy that hadn't run since 1971, sat in a buddy's lot behind
his shop for over two decades covered in honeysuckle and had two
different bumblebee nests embedded in its rotting fiberglass
body.   Buggy got rescued, was a mess, driveline was about all that
was worth saving.   The engine was partly pulled down and checked and
it looked great inside, just put it back together as-is.   Was gonna
put it behind a 4-sp and stick it in a black '65 Monza at Bill
Burleson's place that had no engine but a PG transaxle (plan was to
swap the PG to a 4-sp) but instead things changed at the last minute
and it kept the PG .    To make room for the converter pilot, the new
pilot bushing got popped back out via the bread trick since nobody
could find Bill's tap again at the time.   Kept that bushing too...
in the top tray of my tool box.

After the engine went in (never started) and the owner lost interest
then storage for the car, the black Monza ended up among the fleet
here, as a part of a package deal... no interior, most of the trim
removed etc.   But... it had an engine.   Then Rick Stansbury bent up
his green #5 car.

Took the engine back out and made Rick a smoking deal on the black
Monza body, sans doors and front deck lid (which I still have here,
Rick was gonna use the lightened stuff off his bent #5 racer), to
become his replacement race car... and work started on it.   He spent
several weekends (with a little help from me) cutting and welding and
fitting...  then Rick died.    I was told his wife liquidated most of
the Vair stuff...   I understand the black car was sold off as
scrap.   ~~~   >:-o

The engine ended up getting its pilot bushing put back in AGAIN (not
the knurled one but the breaded one) and it went into the formerly
green/now maroonish'bronze '62 convertible that had been without an
engine for a couple decades itself.   This engine was finally started
for the first time in 35 years and ran great, and is a strong runner
for a 110.   It's going with us tomorrow to the chapter meeting in
spite of the cold... needs to be run a bit, been sitting for a month
anna half since winter arrived.

...so how's my annoying stories string going?

tony..