<VV> Temp/Pressure light problem.

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Dec 15 09:18:40 EST 2009

Once the key is in the 'run' position there should be potential [voltage] in the entire system.  The temp / pressure system checks itself by turning the light on when the key is switched on before the engine is started.  Current is supplied from the key to the lamp socket ... it travels through the bulb ... out to the other wire and down to the oil pressure switch.  Once the engine starts the oil pressure opens the oil pressure switch and breaks the ground contact so the light goes out.  There is also a wire to the temp switch but it is not, at that time, grounded.  [Snap switch makes contact when temp exceeds its setting only.]

In the stated case I would look for an open in the circuit somewhere in the area of the bulb and its contacts in the socket because you have stated there is no power coming out at that point.  It is also important to use the correct two contact, single filament bulb.  Next I would check for continuity in the wire to the oil pressure switch by grounding that wire at the switch.  Once that system is determined to be OK it becomes necessary to change the switch itself with one known to operate.  The only way to check the temp switch is to overheat the engine.  It is best to not know.
Ken P