<VV> Membership question -- 100% vs Not.

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Dec 15 15:22:50 EST 2009

If I had to guess the reason for the confusion is likely as simple as
the difference between an insurance company requirement and what
CORSA really wants.  I belong to several car clubs and several
equestrian clubs.  I was president of one of the equestrian
clubs.  Like CORSA, there is a national organization with local
chapters.  In order for the local chapter to automatically be covered
by insurance, all members of the local chapters had to belong to
national.  The insurance covers meetings, trail rides, arena events,
etc.  We screamed and hollered and complained and it did no good ...
in order to get the insurance we got at the price we got, everyone
had to join.  This caused a lot of discussion but what tipped the
scales ... the insurance covers the officers of the local chapters
for personal liability as well as generic coverage.  We all know that
his day and age if someone gets hurt at a club event they will sure
the chapter.  What you should also know is that there is a very good
chance they sue the president and board/officers of the chapter.  And
ditto national.  Everyone gets sued.  That is one of the benefits of
being an officer in a local chapter -- exposure to liability.  Once
this was explained to our club by an attorney member who said
officers could be personally liable (and definitely could be sued)
for anything that happens at any event (even if the officer is not
present and did not participate) -- and that the national insurance
covered us -- we voted real fast to continue the 100% membership rule
and did not allow non members to participate in events (horse shows,
etc) -- for CORSA I would not allow non members to autocross or go on
rallys with the club ... no insurance, what if they crash?!  In fact,
the horse club now requires we notify them in advance for each event
(because we got cheaper insurance by limiting it to so many shows and
so many rides per year).  Any "official" event is pre-notified and
100% covered by insurance including personal liability coverage for
officers/board members.

Something to chew on, but national insurance coverage is a HUGE
benefit in my mind for CORSA.

BTW - TLCA (Toyota Land Cruiser Association) has a perk I really like
-- they negotiate club prices for hotels and resorts, a pretty good
list of them.  Just check in to the hotel with your membership number
and promotion code and you pay less.  This is easy but time consuming
for someone to do for CORSA.

Merry Christmas from:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.