<VV> Membership question -- 100% vs Not.

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Dec 15 15:51:11 EST 2009

What a waiver does is that when they sue you and you go to court and
you win because they signed a waiver and the court upholds it was
valid and that your behavior was not gross negligence ... is protect
you at the END of the lawsuit cycle -- after spending 10s of
thousands of dollars defending yourself.  Waivers a notorious for
being circumvented ... (in AZ they passed state law for equestrians
that specified exactly what signs and waivers are required to avoid
liability ... so they work kind of OK for that.  The reason this law
was passed is because waivers rarely work, and if they do, only after
you win in court ...

What liability insurance does is that the minute someone sues the
insurance company lawyer takes over.  You spend no money on lawyers
and expenses and so forth.  And if you lose, they pay besides.  You
are not stressed out for 2 years worrying.

And, if a non-club member slides off the road at an autocross and
takes out a pedestrian and the pedestrian sues because you did not
keep the crowd far enough away ... how does a waiver help?  Since it
is a club sponsored event, the club will be sued.  The officers and
board of the chapter will be sued.  Likely the driver too ... or he
may sue you for setting up a dangerous track.

Club insurance at all club sponsored events (including chapter
sanctioned events) is a BIG DEAL and if it requires 100% membership
to keep the price down, so be it.  I don't want to be an officer of a
club where a non member is setting up those cones ... everyone needs to join!

At 01:35 PM 12/15/2009, J R Read_HML wrote:
>It's typical to sign a waiver of liability to participate in an autocross.
>
>Now, for spectators - I'm not sure if that gets enforced.
>
>Later, JR
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric S. Eberhard" <flash at vicsmba.com>

Merry Christmas from:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.