<VV> EMPI & Waivers

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Dec 15 17:35:06 EST 2009

Bill Stanley asked: "Didn't EMPI, maker of the infamous "camber
compensator", also sponsor
Corvair clubs back in the day?" and "Did any of their clubs become Corsa
chapters when Corsa was formed?    '

I don't remember EMPI making it out of the 60's as a viable business.  May
have, but I don't remember.  Don't know how many or how big any of their
clubs were, or if any of their clubs becoming CORSA Chapters.  My guess is
few, small and no.

>From what I think I remember about the dealer sponsored clubs, most of them
were discontinued before the Corvair went out of production.  I think the
members of the two ex-dealer clubs mentioned which became CORSA chapters
decided to continue as a stand alone, self supporting Corvair clubs when the
dealer discontinued support.  Then CORSA was formed, and the rest is
history.

Waivers: I've spectated at more CORSA autocrosses than I've participated in.
Don't remember ever signing a waiver.  Actually, same is true for local SCCA
events when they had them, which has been almost 10 yrs ago.  Since no one
pays to spectate at any autocross I've been to, I certainly do not know what
the applicable rules are.  Kinda like attending a fireworks display.  If
something bad happens, everybody "lawyers up", and they have at it.  No
event insurance, everybody involved with the event is named in the law suit.

But we all know anybody can sue anybody else for anything at anytime.
Having insurance for a formally organized event is a no-brainer.

Eric S. Eberhard said "-- for CORSA I would not allow non members to
autocross or go on rallys with the club ... no insurance, what if they
crash?!"

You have to be registered at the CORSA convention to autocross, but first
you have to be a CORSA member to register.  Spectators is a different
question, as many of them are locals who see somthing going on and watch it
until they don't.  But even if they somehow got involved, event coverage
should cover them.

I believe neither CORSA or any chapter has ever had to use the insurance
CORSA provides.  Which may mean we a closed than ever to that happening....

Historically Yours,
			James Rice