<VV> Membership question -- Insurance??

J.Alan Johnson johnsonaj1 at charter.net
Tue Dec 15 20:28:51 EST 2009

I'm reading a lot of opinions as to whether CORSA's insurance covers only
members, or covers everyone including non-members, whether it covers
pedestrians and spectators, whether it covers officers and directors of
local chapters, and so on.  But the problem is that unless some one of you
have actually read the insurance policy that CORSA carries, it's just
that-opinions.  None of us know exactly what is covered, including me (with
34 years experience working in commercial insurance).  We're all just
guessing.

Although there are some standardized forms in commercial lines insurance,
there is no such thing as a standard policy.  The insurance policy is
nothing more than a contract promising to do something in the future if some
act (or failure to act) causes injury or damage.  And there are so many
forms, a policy can be put together in many ways to provide coverage or not
provide coverage.

A comprehensive analysis of the coverage afforded by CORSA's policy would be
too long to post to VV, but I think would make a very interesting article
for the Communique.  I have written to the Communique editor offering to do
an examination of the policy and write such an article, and I feel I am
qualified to do so.  [I usually charge quite a bit per hour to do this type
of thing, but as a CORSA member, I want to know myself what's covered, and
will be happy to do it for the knowledge.]

If some others want to know too, let the leadership know about it.  I
personally don't care who does the analysis, but I think we need to have the
facts.

J. Alan Johnson, CPCU, ARM, AIS

THE JOHNSON AGENCY, LLC

Proud CORSA Member and '66 Monza Convertible Owner