<VV> Bob's (typically different) viewpoint on 100%

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Dec 16 16:51:56 EST 2009

Bob
Every veteran's organization in this country, as well as many of the car clubs, allow MAL's  (MEMBERS AT LARGE)

Perhaps living in NJ doesn't give you perspective on a member who may live hours away from a local club.  He joins CORSA for the magazine, and information/web access/ etc.    Should he HAVE to send money to a Chapter that he may never visit in his life?

In my role as a District Vice Commandant for the Marine Corps League, I get a MAL listing every quarter.
  I make copies and underline the names of the MAL's that live in my district, and go over this list with each of the Detachment Commandants and the Jr Vice Commandant (Responsible for recruitment and retention), to alert them to potential detachment members in their geographical area.  And I check on their progress in contacting these MAL's and enticing them to join the local detachment.

 Different than CORSA, when you join the Marine Corps League, you do not have to pay dues to your local detachment.  Detachments raise their own funds for troop support, toys for tots, community support, etc.  My detachment has collected over 5000 toys since October, and raised 12,000.00 for community and troop support. This amount is raised annually.  (Lincoln County NC has about 30,000 residents, and the unemployment rate is 17%)

If the argument is that chapters need money to survive, then perhaps the members could push themselves away from the frequent and  inevtiable meals that they consume, and get their butts out and do some fundraising for their chapter.

You can have the best chapter in the club, but if a MAL lives 3-4 hours away, no benefit will likely entice them to travel that far for a monthly meeting.

Hank