<VV> Don't need Insurance??

J.Alan Johnson johnsonaj1 at charter.net
Wed Dec 16 20:31:28 EST 2009

I just read something that has to be corrected.  In VV/59.132, John Dozsa
writes:

"Our chapter has not had any event in years that would need CORSA insurance,
no mall

shows, no moving events, etc.  When we get together for a business

meeting at the local Chevy dealers meeting room we are covered by the

dealers liability insurance, the same insurance coverage any Chevy

customer gets.   Holding a meeting at a restaurant is no different, we

are covered by the restaurant's insurance.  Bottom line the CORSA

insurance is of no current benefit."

I hope there are not more of our members relying on the "host's" insurance
to cover them.  John, you are simply wrong in your assumption.

When you visit your Chevy Dealer or local restaurant, you are not covered
for your negligence by their insurance.  A liability insurance policy covers
the "named insured" i.e., the Chevy Dealer or the restaurant (to use your
examples).  While you could receive benefits if you slip and fall or are
injured due to their negligence (not cleaning up the floor for example), the
policy pays to protect them-not you.  Say for example your club strings an
extension cord to power a slide projector you're using to show pictures of
the last road rally.  If someone trips over the cord that you failed to tape
down, your club could get sued, and the place where you are meeting is not
going to provide you with coverage.  (Most likely they will be sued too, and
their insurance will cover them but they will not cover the negligence of
some not defined as an insured.)

J. Alan Johnson, CPCU, ARM, AIS