<VV> Torch suggestions

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 17 14:39:18 EST 2009

I stripped out an early convertible a few years ago.
Stripped it out so much, the guy with a rollback didn't want it.
So I decided to cut it up.
Used sawsall, torches, cutoff wheels, and an air chisel.
Set undercoating and seam sealer on fire, as well as some weatherstripping.
Cut fingers, and a lot of time to do it. Emptied 2 fire extinguishers too.
Figure it cost me over $300 to get $50 worth of scrap metal. Took me two
trips to haul it in as well.
In retrospect, I should have paid the $50 to haul it away, my time alone
was worth more than that.
Now though, the price of scrap is up pretty good yet. someone may haul it
away and actually give you something for it.
Now I have an open car trailer.
Last couple I scrapped, I pulled off the suspensions while it was on the
trailer, leaving it lay on tires so it can be plucked off the trailer.

Buy torches with tanks small enough for your own use, and you can haul the
tanks in to be exchanged in the trunk of your car.
I was using a vintage set of torches for years. Actually got a harbor
freight set for christmas and they seem to work fine for what I need.

Cutting up a whole car can bee frustrating, and dangerous too.
Some areas have places that will haul it away for free and give you a tax
deduction.

Gary Swiatowy

From: Bryan Blackwell <bryan at skiblack.com>
Subject: <VV> Torch suggestions

Hi folks,

Well, I have a question :-)  I'm parting out the parts wagon, and when
that's done I'd like to cut it up and take it to the scrapper, rather
than paying to have the shell hauled.  I figure the difference in
price helps me justify a new toy :-)

Note to Tony U:  I tried mailing you directly a couple of times,
didn't hear back.

I'd like to get a torch setup for occasional use and would like to be
able to cut, bend, and weld.  I am somewhat limited on space, so the
little portable rigs at Home Depot are appealing, but I don't know how
quickly I'll empty the bottles.  For the cutting work, I basically
need to get it into small enough chunks to fit in Ellie's F-150.  I
have a few other smallish projects in mind - cutting and forming the
ends of springs, that sort of thing.  Suggestions?  Brands?

--Bryan