<VV> need electronic circuit design help - 3rd brake light

mikeamauro at aol.com mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 11:43:16 EST 2009

"...I am working on a  project that is beyond my meager electronic
component level knowledge. If there  is someone out there that is willing to help
me..."

Dave, you asked for  an offline reply, but this info may be helpful to
others wishing to  add this safety valuable feature (a third brake light) to
their  Corvairs.
While I haven't added  a 3rd brake light to my Spyder (it's an "as
original," full restoration),  I HAVE added 3rd brake light to both my 64 Greenbrier
and 67 coupe.  Both additions were performed without a lot of added wiring,
by using  aftermarket, off-the-shelf items, primarily available from
American Technology,  Inc. The basic components required are: 1) their AT-LC-1
Brake Light  Module... this electronic component coordinates the brake lights
and turn signal  function...
http://www.atcomp.com/php/protypecat.php?type_id=4&prod_cat=23  2)  One of their 3rd brake lights; I prefer their
AT-LED-40...  http://www.atcomp.com/php/protypecat.php?type_id=4&prod_cat=20  and  ,
3) for maximum 3rd light brightness, you'll want to add a slave relay
between the output of the AT-LC-1 Brake Light Module and the input of the 3rd
brake light. I use the Bosch 0332209150, SPST, 12V, available at better parts
houses.
Just follow the  easy-to-follow wiring information provided with the
AT-LC-1  (  http://www.atcomp.com/pdf/AT-LC-1.pdf  ); add the slave relay, and
walah,  you're all set.
Following is a link to  the 3rd brake light installed on my Greenbrier:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2969741600037639846bQJbbQ .  If preferred, you
can use the AT-LC-1 Brake Light Module with anybody's 3rd  brake light,
with the 3rd brake light placed anywhere you like. The key to  simplicity is
using the AT-LC-1 to sidestep having to develop your own stoplight  & turn
signal coordination circuitry. Good luck with your  project.
Note: to avoid  aggravating the frustrated English majors, this
correspondence has been spell  checked and grammar-corrected 10-ways from Sunday.
Hopefully it passes  muster.
Mike Mauro