<VV> Pre-Lube and it's not watcha thinkin'

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 00:10:55 EST 2009

Tony, your story is similar to mine. Well, my original car had 44K on it
when I got it, but the dufous adjusted the valves wrong and burnt some, so I
refaced the valves and replaced rings and bearings. 88K later the nylon cam
gear came apart and the car stopped. Since I was in there, I honed the
barrels (no ridge at the top) a second time, put new std rings on the old
cleaned pistons and std bearings, and this time new lifters on the old cam
with 132K miles on it, then drove it to 220K miles and sold it (I was a
fool). My current car also a 1962 102 hp coupe is a 67K miles 1 owner before
me, and there is piston slap in 2 cyls, #1 and #4. A cyl/piston/rod (not
same #) have been changed #1. Mine was owned by a lady, who gave it to her
high school daughter who sold it to me some 40 years later, but I think your
story about occasional (if any) oil changes applies.
I think I am going to overhaul it so I know what is there and then I can run
it without worry.

The morale of the story is,
GM designed a great motor that is easy to work on, and if you take care of
the engine, it will take care of you.  Mark Durham