<VV> Corvair oil choice survey

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Dec 21 03:05:50 EST 2009

I’m SOOO Comfused!

I read the article written several months ago on oil. It is very detailed
and interesting. However, I’m not a chemist and I got lost a few times.

It will soon be time for me to change my oil.  I am not sure if my current
oil is a good choice. I currently use Castrol HD 30. It is an SL so I
understand that it has ZDDP. I was told that 30 weight is what I should use
in Southern California. The temperatures don’t fluctuate enough to need a
multi viscosity oil I was told.

Lately, I have heard of several oils that you guys use by brand. Some of
them are:

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30

Mobil 1 Diesel 5W-40

Shell Rotella ( which one)

Brad Penn oil (More info please?)

I’d like everyone to tell me what they use and why. Please give me the
following:

The entire name of the product as it shows on the label

the color of the bottle

does it in quarts

Does it come in gallons

Approximate cost per quart

Approximate price per gallon

Any additives you use

Oil filter

Why did you choose that oil?

I intend to compile the list and use it to make my choice of new oil. I will
also  post my findings here and submit it to the Communiqué

Don’t respond to this email. I will send another one with the basic list
ready for responses.

Dave Thompson

63 spyder vert

Westminster, CA