<VV> Scanning the Communique

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Dec 22 08:07:29 EST 2009

At 06:39 AM 12/22/2009, Jay Pitchford wrote:
>I have access to a nice copier/scanner at the office and might be able to
>help scan back issues of the Communique into pdf format. I'll have to check
>to see if scans are charged for (like paper copies) under the copier lease
>agreement.

The trick about scanning Communiques to PDF is more about organizing
who has what so that everyone else mixed up in all this knows what to
scan and what not to, since someone else might be duping the same
issues.    I already posted a list of what I have on hand, including
issues I've lost or misplaced along the way, to the other people
included in the mix.

What remains is to organize what who has and then get everyone to
agree to which blocks of Communiques, Quarterlies, and newsletters
they can scan/convert.   The end result needs to be searchable, which
means the text has to be scanned via OCR while the images remain in
bitmap form.    Not a problem for the majority of scan/ocr software
these days, and as Tony I. pointed out, if you have Microsoft Office
on your computer there's already a decent OCR scan program there
which doesn't do a half-bad job.    There's already been some
discussion on how to best go about all this... anybody wanting to
read the discussions so far, ask and someone will forward the CC'ed
e-mails to you if you're interested in seeing what it's about.

tony..