<VV> Scanning the Communique

Guus de Haan guusdehaan at mac.com
Tue Dec 22 09:23:30 EST 2009

I'd like to add my 0,02 cents worth to the scanning discussion if I may.

For work and study I've done a lot of paper research and information retrieval. It's also something that has my personal interest.

Try to look at the information from a "use" point of view. Many people and organizations are busy bringing paper contend into the digital world in the way it was originally published. That is not always useful. The way a newspaper is made suits a newspaper but it won't work for a website as this is much smaller. If you have articles covered in several Communiques, it's a lot easier to make this contend so it can be read as a whole. It has been mentioned before, some articles are time related, some are "timeless". It can be very useful to separate these two. Maybe you want to consider a timeline for contend that is indeed time related. These new angles can make "old" information very interesting again.

Keep in mind that scanning to pdf is very convenient but has it's own limits. Pdf's (usually) have a fixed format. Reading a pdf formatted for Legal (A4 for us ;-) on a big screen is perfect, but it's not very convenient if you try to do so on a small laptop or even iPhone. OCR software is good but usually not flawless. Try to find a way to check the output from a OCR scan. Many people OCR-ing pdf's have no idea that word are missing and/or incorrect words are added to the invisible layer. When searching on a computer all this errors will show up.

I also would like to point out that there are Mac users out there, don't get lock-in into a Windows only solution please!

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands
'65 Corsa Turbo-Charged Cvt
Mac-user

Op 22 dec 2009, om 14:59 heeft The Reinharts het volgende geschreven: