<VV> Pre-Lube and it's not watcha thinkin'

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 21:53:58 EST 2009

Bill generally speaking, if the mixture is too rich the exhaust and plugs
will be black and sooty. If the mixture is right the exhaust pipe should
have a brownish white look to any film you can wipe out of the pipe.

The best way to determine lean/rich is to take a look at a good spark plug
temperature range chart, most plug manufacturers have one on line so a
person can determine by looking at his plugs if he is running the correct
heat range plug. Look at the colors of the electrodes and the ceramic
insulator for the plug tip.

Changing jets will affect the heat range, but I think 48's should be fine. I
was running 49's, asked a carb overhauler his recommendation, and put in
52's and now the exhaust pipe is black, so this next spring will go  back to
the 49's, maybe 48's if you give positive feedback. So, check you plugs for
proper color and go from there.
Mark Durham