<VV> Was Gift Horse, Now Seized Engine

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat Dec 26 15:36:07 EST 2009

A couple of years ago, I was on a search for a 180 engine to replace the
140 engine in my 66 Corsa.  It was originally a turbo car.  I found someone
here on VV who had one and was willing to sell it.  He claimed that it had
been running recently and that it could be turned by hand.  The engine I
received was seized more solid than any other in my experience.  There were a
multitude of issues I had with this individual in this transaction but that is
not the story here.  For obvious reasons, I will not mention his name in this
post.

All pistons were frozen solidly in their respective cylinders.  I pulled
the heads off and all other possible parts to have access to the innards.  I
soaked the tops and bottoms of the pistons/rings with PB Blaster and anything
else I could think of for a couple of weeks without success.  My "Plan B"
was to unbolt the connecting rod caps from the rods and slip the cylinders
and pistons out of the crankcase as assemblies to be dealt with individually.
Unfortunately, the crankshaft was in just the wrong position where I could
not access 3 nuts on the caps.  Further, a number of the cap bolts could not
be removed because they were too close to the case and I could not remove
their piston/cylinder assemblies because the bolts would contact the
crankshaft before I could move the rod down far enough to clear the edge of the
crankcase.  I ended up using a cutoff wheel to slice through the nuts and bolts
I couldn't remove through traditional means.  Once out, I hammered the rods
to the point that they came directly out of the cylinders rather than at an
angle and used my 12 ton hydraulic press to pop the pistons out of the
cylinders.  Most of them let loose with a very loud crack.  I sent the cylinders
out to be bored but the pistons were trashed, of course.

Perhaps, someone can use my unfortunate experience when faced with a
similarly seized engine.

I hope that everyone is having a great holiday season and will have a
prosperous new year.

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Corsa turbo coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop