<VV> Was Gift Horse, Now Seized Engine

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Sat Dec 26 16:21:19 EST 2009

A couple of years ago when I got the Shark home after purchasing it, I
found a very stuck reverse rotation 140 . . . Pulling the heads I
discovered why:

http://members.cox.net/tkalp2/Shark4.jpg

There was rust everywhere:

http://members.cox.net/tkalp2/Shark3.jpg

Soaked everything in PB blaster and started taking apart what I could.
Working several hours a day for the next week, I was able to get the
rods I could reach apart and those cylinders off. This was not often
easy because many of the wrist pins were frozen at awkward angles. With
those piston/cylinder assemblies gone, it allowed me to reach some of
the rod nuts that were untouchable before. More cylinders came off until
I could finally move the crank a bit by sliding the cylinders in and out
of the block. Once all the pistons were out then the crank and cam
turned freely and the rest came apart easily. I was able to save almost
everything except the pistons and cylinders, including a 300 degree high
lift reverse rotation cam.

tkalp
wichita, ks