<VV> 64 110 head confusion -Golly, Gee, Darn!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 21:15:39 EST 2009

In a message dated 12/29/2009 3:46:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ssvairnut at yahoo.com writes:

In what  I've read the 64 110 heads only match with 64 cylinders because
they are a  different size than the later models. Does this mean I can or
can't use the  later model 110 heads without any modification on the 64
cylinders? Can  someone clear me up on this?

John Miller

John - Chevrolet had two different upper cylinder interfaces.  The 60-64
had a smaller outer diameter on the cylinder, so the hole in the 60-64
cylinder heads is smaller in diameter than the 65-69. In 1965, Chevy used up  some
64 cylinders in production (and spares) by adding an outer ring around the
flange where the cylinder stuck into the head. This made a 64 cylinder
function  (pretty much) like a 65-69. If you have access to a similar ring, you
could take  a 64 cylinder and use it with a later model cylinder head. I too
k apart a  Stinger race engine to find one of these bands on a 64 cylinder.
It  was actually a piece of cut sheet metal, but held the cylinder in place
okay.

The reason that 64 seems unique, is that the earlier cylinders didn't have
the cutout at the bottom - since it is placed there to clear the longer
crankshaft throw of the 64-up engines. The 64 has that cutout, but still uses
the smaller upper flange like the 60-63.

To use the 64 cylinders with the later heads, you should install sleeves
around the top flanges of the cylinders to center and help seal the head
gaskets.

If that isn't clear, please ask again.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette