<VV> 50th Corvair Celebration - Is your club planning anything?

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Thu Feb 5 04:16:36 EST 2009

Hi Scott and all,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Thanks for your post and to all the groups who are planning Corvair 50th events...it's heartening to see the enthusiasm!

Rod Murray, Kent Sullivan, Mike McGowan and I have gotten a CPF publicity group together to capitalize on all the significant Corvair 50th Anniversary dates this year and next, clear through to the 2010 convention. Part of our plan is to help chapters with Corvair 50th stories, press releases and photos for their newsletters and 50th-related events.

This material will be similar to what we send to enthusiast magazines far and wide, but if chapters are looking for specific photos for their newsletter covers, programs, displays etc. we'll try our best to help. Chapters can also quote or use portions of my 50th article series in the Communique with proper credit to myself, the CPF and the Communique.

We've already helped several chapters with their newsletter and exhibit plans. We encourage all chapters to hold some kind of event on October 2nd, even if it's just your regular meeting with a 50th theme, 1960 Vair videos and Birthday cake. Chapters should encourage their members to drive their Corvairs on October 2nd, too.

Please send us the details of your 50th-related Chapter events so we can incorporate them into our national publicity.

The CPF is planning to issue a coin to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Vair's announcement on October 2nd, and I'll be sending the formal proposal to the CPF Staff later today. The plan will be to take orders in advance and mail the coins from The Corvair Museum in Ypsilanti on October 2nd with a custom postmark and Corvair stamp. We've cooked up an exciting, historic twist to the coin and its mailing.

The coin will be part of our publicity too, and we may place some ads outside of CORSA for pre-orders. It'll be a terrific fundraiser for the CPF and we hope chapters will help promote it. All the coin details will be on VV and in the Communique as soon as possible. Also, some chapters may want to use the coin graphics for a 50th logo.

Please keep us posted, and we'll do the same!

Dave Newell