<VV> Corvair Introduction Gas Mileage

R.B. & Kris Dorran randkdorran at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 00:48:50 EST 2009

O.K., so I want to go to my small town Chevy Dealer and see if we can help
them help us celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary introduction of the
Corvair. To help make my case that the Corvair is worth showing off (even
though it did have a bad rap and I would say most car buyers don't remember
the bad reputation) I need some research help from the knowledge capital
within Virtual Vairs.

When the Corvair was introduced in October 1959, did it have the best gas
mileage of the big 3? What I'm thinking is if I could tell the local Manager
that we could show off our Corvairs (have a 50th anniversary unveiling of
sorts) and suggest they hang a sign that says "50 years of the best gas
mileage from American built cars". I know you can pick the statement apart
and that is not what I want from the group. It's vague enough for any of the
normal advertising done if there is some basis for it. This is why I need
help from all you folks.

I'm not sure if the magazines that featured it in 1959/1960 or named it car
of the year compared or even rated gas mileage. None of the magazines in my
collection are old enough. It's a thought I had and appreciate any help
given.

Thanks,

R.B.