<VV> In defense of Buffalo and urban conventions

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 10:35:43 EST 2009

Oh, dear!  I see it's time for another round of Buffalo bashing!   I was at
that convention and had a good time.  I was grateful that INDOOR  parking was
provided and, if I recall correctly, an entire floor of the parking  garage (or
"ramp" as they call it in Buffalo) was provided for Corvairs  only.  Granted,
attendees' need for trailer parking initially exceeded the  allotted lots but
the convention planners scrambled around and in short order  found additional
trailer parking.  I don't think they can be faulted for  being unaware that
so many more trailers would come to Buffalo than had come to  a convention
before.  That's just another sign of the changes in our club  and hobby.  As our
cars get older more and more people will choose to  trailer them to the
convention.

As for urban conventions, as long as there is parking and costs can  be kept
reasonable, I'd prefer that the convention be somewhere that  there's
something to do in addition to the Corvair convention stuff.  And,  no, conventions
aren't a "family" vacation for me.  It's just that  despite my obvious obsession
with things Corvair (just ask my friends) I do have  other interests and
enjoy doing other things.  An urban setting provides  that.  Of the eight
conventions that I've attended, the only one that I  regretted going to was set in a
remote area where one had to drive for miles to  another state just to do
anything.  I'm not going to name names because I  know that even in that case, the
folks who put on that convention put more work  into it than I ever have or
probably ever will.

~Bill Stanley
Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)