<VV> lifter noise

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 18:38:47 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/10/2009 3:23:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dave_r505 at yahoo.com writes:

Actually  I drove the car yesterday about 14 miles and when I had gotten home
thats when  I had noticed it the most. The knocking definitely was coming
from the left  side of the engine. So today i removed the valve cover and noticed
that no  matter the postion of crank 1 or 2 lifters was almost always loose.
Im just  kinda weary about tightening it down without knowing a little  more...

thanks, Dave

I hate to say it - But the shop manual has a great description of how to
tighten down the right one at the right time. If you don't have access to the
Manual, the best way is to rotate the motor through it's firing order, one third
 of a rotation at a time. You can check the position of the rotor to tell
whether  cylinder #1 or #2 is at the firing point, (Both pistons reach TDC at the
same  moment, but only one has completed the compression stroke, the other is
 completing the exhaust stroke and valves are probably open!)  When the
rotor is at the firing point for that cylinder, it is safe to adjust both  of the
rockers for that cylinder.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette

Awards.  AOL Music takes you there.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000002)