<VV> spun rod bearing = dead con rod

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 19:38:29 EST 2009

snipped and bottom posted

From: "Jedd Hebrink" < jhebrink at anvilcom.com >
Subject: <VV> 66 Monza 110 PG engine knock - mystery solved

snippety ------

............. I spun the #5 rod bearing. ................
The rod and rod cap as well as the crankshaft journal all appear to be
unscathed. The bearing took the damage. My question is this: would it be
wise to install new rod bearings (these were .020) and plastigage and see if
they are within tolerance limits? ....................................
As always, thanks for your advice.
Jedd Hebrink
As always, Until the rod is measured this is just a guess, but The size, roundness, and taper specs for con rod big-end bores is pretty tight.
Diameter within 1/2 thou, taper and bellmouth less than 2 tenths (0.0002"), out of round maybe 1/2 thou if the bore is lemon shaped, big across the parting face.
Not really measureable with dial vernier calipers .

I've seen a few spun bearings, and I don't believe I ever saw a bearing "spin" without wearing and distorting the rod. Rods whose bearings have spun usually are so distorted that they are poor candidates for rebuilding.