<VV> Using T-3 headlights

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 12 23:29:40 EST 2009

>Just when I thought this thread had gone on long enough, I learn there is a difference between the halogen replacement bulb that you can buy anywhere and a T3 repop?

Look at the lenses of different manufacturer's headlights -- they are
all different.  The old "T3" headlights have a distinctive "look" or
maybe I should say a distinguishing lens pattern, aside from the
identifying emblems.  Modern sealed beam Halogen replacements are not
all the same either -- Sylvania, Westignhouse, and Phillips all put
Halogen on them in different locations, among other things (such as
lighting performance).  Those E code headlights you hear about look
different just at a glance, but they are not all the same, either --
some are even radically different in appearance, all retaining the flat
cut-off and 30º flare, and differ from right hand drive vs left hand
drive.  Low beam lamps differ from High beams in all cases.  See Daniel
Stern's website for pics and details of modern lighting options.

Halogen or incandescent T-3's should all have the distinctive look of
the classic Corvair headlight.

Bill Strickland