<VV> More Salt Now & Snow Driving (Moving OT, little Corvair)

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 17:08:01 EST 2009

For my money, they could just skip the salt and require people to use
snow/ice tires. (OH NO, We couldn't force people to spend money)  I have
snow/ice tires on two of my vehicles and they're amazing. My third
winter-equipped vehicle has studded snow tires and they don't work nearly as
well.  "All Season Tires" are a joke.  The Canadian DOT produced a video on
all season tires and showed how they harden beginning at temperatures below
45 degrees and asked viewers to imagine a rock-hard hockey puck on sliding
on ice vs. a rubber sponge (snow/ice tires) that develop decent traction on
the same ice. Believe me, a $400 set of ice tires is far, far less expensive
than replacing your vehicle due to rust out.  Our 10-year old Astro van
still looks almost new underneath where a '97 Astro in Ohio is all done;
Ohioans have to buy a new van, I still have 10 more years in mine - all due
to not using salt in our area.  Also, because they barely use salt here in
North Idaho, I can drive my Corvair in the winter with little concern.  On
the other hand, rusted out cars support the auto and salt industries so I
guess they'll just keep on salting away.

Craig Nicol