<VV> membership

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Feb 16 07:24:06 EST 2009

Roger
I've seen that as well.  Mike has said a mouthful.  Some chapters have taken
steps.
Tidewater Corvair assigns a mentor to each new member. Helps to get them
into the group, and they have a go-to person for advice, etc.

But if you can't mandate that by Joining a CORSA sanctioned chapter and
becoming a member of CORSA is optional (which sounds more stupid  every time
I write it), how could you mandate something like assigning a mentor,

as Ned pointed out---"Corvair Owners don't like being told what to do".

In my experience, grown folks who "don't like being told what to do" aren't
very grown, regardless of chronological age.

How many times a day does each of us do things we'd rather not do, but do
them because it's the right thing to do?

When I sit in a Marine Corps League meeting, whether there are 14 members or
1400, every one of them has paid dues to MCL national headquarters, and
their local detachment gets a portion of that money to keep.  If they are
Life members, the local detachment gets an annual stipend from the interest
of the life dues they paid, which is based on age, not an arbitrary figure
like 900.00.
Even the youngest members pay only 450.00 for life dues, which includes a
bi-monthly magazine.

Take note: The Marine Corps League is the only Veteran's organization in the
USA that is experiencing true growth in membership.  in 2007 the DAV checked
their member list against the Social Security Death list, and "lost" 2200
members in one day.

Perhaps that's another reason not to join a CORSA chapter.  Lots of whining
that paying national dues to belong to a chapter of a national car club is
just too much of an intrusion into the personal independence of a Corvair
Owner.   Why does that sound stupid too?

Maybe I missed it, but there are about 2500 LESS members now than 20 years
ago. Let's let a whole bunch of the ones that are left belong without paying
dues to fix our financial problems. That's a sure fix to the problem, eh?

With that logic, perhaps the club should spend several thousand dollars of
money it doesn't have to try increase membership, while its chapters have
possibly hundreds of members who pay no CORSA Dues.

 Will that be the next decision coming down the pike?

Hank