<VV> My comments on Mel's idea

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 23:47:04 EST 2009

Mel,

I really like your idea.

Too many times Corvair parts, paperwork, etc., etc., get "lost" because the remaining people see no value or have no interest or simple can't take it with them. I have been involed in more than a few of these, "save what you can" projects because they were no longer able or willing to store the items.

Just recently as a matter of fact, I came home with a ton of old car magazines, some parts and a collection of treasures because of lost storage space. It was a lot of work but what a blast uncovering life's little treasures.

My favorite are the old car magazines. Yes, I give them a quick scan to see what's inside, and end up reading many of the articles. Today for example, "Doug Roe and the Sneaky Corvair" page 54 in Sports Car Graphic, April 1967. Pretty neat.

Model Car Science magazines with Corvairs in them.
Auto Topics magazine with an IECO article, "Speed Tuning The Corvair".
Car Life magazine with an article on Corvair Powered Beetle.
Powerglide Transmissions manual by Bob Ballew.

But one of the neatest finds are the old race programs with race results. Corvairs were really kicking butt in L/S at the drag strips.

A box full of early parts and another box full of Spyder dash parts. The early parts will be on eBay soon as I have no early Corvairs. As will the Corvair models and toys since I am not into toys.

The point being, I an sure if CORSA had a provision for passing on these parts to Corvair owners, a lot of this stuff could have or would have gone to CORSA. As it turned out, myself and a fellow club member took what we could, but we DIDN'T TAKE IT ALL. We just didn't have the space. We left a ton of magazines there, but I think we got all the Corvair related stuff out, but I'm not sure.

Roy