<VV> Tail-brake-lights fuse

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 09:53:46 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/17/2009 3:02:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
arendhuismus at xs4all.nl writes:

Hi  guys,

the fuse on my taillights collapses every time i hit the brakes.  I know the
brakelights, the taillights and the L-R indicator all use the same  fuse, but
has anyone got an advice, where to look first? I already know that  the
problem is not in the rear harness.

Arend  Huisman
Netherlands
'64 vert

Arend,

Try the brake light switch and wiring first.  On our old '61 and '63  the
connectors had been damaged and shorted between the two wires.  Unplug  it and
see if the fuse still blows--then you will know it isn't the brake light
circuit.  You should also be sure the fuse holder clips are clean and not  coated
with rust and corrosion.  High resistance at the fuse connections  can overheat
the fuse and melt the solder at one end when you apply the heavier  brake
light electrical load.  Happened to me on my '66 rust bucket  convertible a few
times.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Washington DC suburbs