<VV> Communique (this is Re to several posts)

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 18:24:28 EST 2009

Yeah, it's the price of admission as long as you want to do it the old way.

I've got $300 invested in a 1918 Victor Victrola in my living room.  I just restored the reproducer.  I don't try to tell anyone it's the way to go, and playing old 78's is way better than dinking around bothering to download any music. For every Victrola playing a Billy Murray record, there are about 1.4 million songs being downloaded.  I don't insist that my favorite artists put out vinyl records. Or shellac in the case of the 78's.

I'll just let the Corvair world fight it out now, knowing full well that I am right, and in 5 years or less the magazine will be online, or membership will be over $50 a year to keep that pretty book going out to the remaining 2000 members, while all the young people join non-marque specific car clubs that are operating in this millennium. And all those non-Corsa Corvairists will be getting all the information they need off the internet at no cost, which is what thousands of us do now anyway.

And yes, I know what it's like to be on dialup.  that's what I have to use at my folks house.  I sued it for over 12 years.  I was in a small town when internet came to town, and a 4800k connection was FAST and the internet company used to call ME to see if it was working OK, because they only had like 4 subscribers.  And yes, I used to call long distance to do it.  And I even had Hughes for 18 months.  The dish is still on my garage several years later. And it sucks for those stuck on dialup.

The Communique is an expensive boutique magazine, that's a very pretty and expensive was to disseminate information. There are many automotive organizations that provide services similar to CORSA (insurance, events, etc) that do not publish a magazine, and have their information all on line.

It'll be interesting to see how things are stacking up with the current economy, the increasing costs, and the unwillingness of people to change with the times -- and I don't mean that as a dig at you Mark, but that's how it is for many. Once people drop out, either because they don't want to pay the increasing costs, or whatever, it's harder and harder to replace them.

Tim in Bovey