<VV> Alternates to Re: DIAL-UP SERVICE...C'MON

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 14:42:55 EST 2009

Mark and others,
     Tell your friends not to send BIG picture files as part of the email, but to send them as attachments to the email.  That way you should be able to tell the size of the attachment BEFORE you download it.  When I was on dial-up service, it took me about 6 minutes to download a 1000kb file.  When I go to the Jersey shore to visit my friend Teena, I have to use her dial-up service to access my email.  This is OK for 95% of the email (like V V) which does NOT have attachments.  Anything with attachments I put off downloading until a day or so later when I ride my bike to the library (less than a mile away).  At the library, I get wireless Internet connection as soon as I walk in the door and start up my computer, so I download all the postponed attachments as well as any software updates for my anti-virus and anti-spam software.  Also I Google various sites for material and pics for my next Communique article.  This particular library runs the wireless Internet access 24/7 so it is available for use OUTSIDE the building even when the library is closed (late nights and Sundays and holidays)  I've sat outside in the car in the parking lot and accessed the Internet at high speed.  Just be careful to park so the sun doesn't shine on your screen.<GGGGG>
     Frank "old guy trying new stuff" Burkhard