<VV> Getting Volunteers

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 15:50:36 EST 2009

WE  LIKE TO BE ASKED
By Bob  Helt

Yes, we girls liked to be  asked. We liked to be asked for a date, We like to
be asked to go out. We like  to be asked to go to dinner (and have the fellow
pay for everything). We love  it. We even like to be asked to go out with our
girlfriends. Why? Well it sure  makes us feel good. It builds our self
esteem. It complements our own feelings  about ourselves. It is exciting. It is “
living”. In fact the ultimate is to be  asked to marry the guy we admire most and
are in love  with.
We also like to be asked to  do things that may involve our time or effort
when the feeling is that the  people asking really value our participation and
help. It gives us satisfaction  to think that someone really values us and our
involvement. In addition the  opportunities for accomplishing challenging
tasks increases our knowledge and  self worth. Psychologists often say that
accomplishment within a job offers the  greatest satisfaction, rather than money or
perks.
But the guys say, you girls  aren’t the only ones who like to be asked. We
get great satisfaction by being  asked out by our girlfriends too. In fact our
feelings aren’t much different  from you gals. We love to be asked to join the
team (even if we don’t follow  thru).  Being asked tells us that  the other
party values our knowledge, friendship and help.
On the other side, just  imagine how you feel when your friends are chosen
for some activity but you are  not. You are unappreciated. You are an outcast.
It tends to work both  ways.
GETTING  VOLUNTEERS
OK, let’s consider the  question of getting volunteers for accomplishing some
activity or project. Let’s  say we are in charge of some charity project and
need unpaid help to accomplish  our goals. Well, we could just sit at our desk
and wait until the right people  walk thru our door. Will that work?
We could maybe advertise  for volunteers in the local papers or with posters
in the neighborhood. How will  that work? We might get some people who
perceive the need for their help and  understand the implied benefits of
volunteering. Maybe, depending on how the ads  were worded.
But I’ll bet that by  personally contacting prospective candidates and
personally explaining why they  are needed and how much their help would be valued
would get more volunteers.  People like to be asked. It makes them feel good.
If you are seeking unpaid  volunteers, you have to sell the job to them. There
is no money involved so you  have to emphasize how much they are needed and
how valuable their contribution  would be. And how much job satisfaction they
will enjoy from their  participation.
So which path would you  suggest that CORSA takes when they need volunteers
to participate in some  activity?

**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)