<VV> Getting Volunteers

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Feb 23 11:28:38 EST 2009

All:  Bob Helt exceeded himself in his eloquence about being asked to
volunteer.  I agree with his observations.  It is nice to be asked.

But if I may offer (again) the other side of the coin.

For a volunteer organization with most of it's members spread all over the
USA, I'd like to suggest it is virtually impossible for CORSA's volunteer
leadership to:
	a. formulate a list of things which need to be done, and/or
	b. have the time and skill sets to perform the tasks, and/or
	c. know or figure out who in the membership of the volunteer organization
has the time and skill sets to perform the task.

Doesn't mean CORSA volunteer leadership should not be doing any of the
above.  They should and do given their time and recourses.  It isn't an easy
task, and it is somewhat amazing it gets done at all.  Most of their
recruitment effort is directed to filling committee chairmanships when they
become open for whatever the reason.  All the things we listed are probably
not the responsibility of existing committees or their chairman's.  Having
created a "to do list" beyond the normal workload of BoD members and
committee chairs, the question is: What's next?  If a, b, & c above is a
reasonable view of reality, how does the list get addressed?

If we, or at least some of the VV audience, are as passionate about CORSA as
recent postings suggest, and if we think we have the time and skill sets to
actually accomplish one of the things we have listed, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE
ASKED?!  VOLUNTEER!!!  HELLO....!!

No one asked me to become Chairman of the Competition Committee in the
summer of 1979.  I volunteered.  Wrote the late Herb Berkman a letter.
Other than whatever it was I told him, the only thing he knew about me was
that I had done a couple racing stories in the Communique.  I volunteered
because I knew something needed to be done, without knowing the details of
what that meant.  Six months later, I got a phone call.  Herb told me what
needed to be done. It was a long list of things to do within a month or so,
because they hadn't been done.  And four years later, when it had stopped
being fun and something I could still do, I resigned, and told CORSA's
President (still Herb?) who I thought my replacement could/should be.

When I ran for the combined BoDs, no one asked me.  I volunteered because I
thought there was a need within CPF I could fulfill.  Little did I know.  I
ran on a "I'll do CPF stuff mostly."  Tony V. was the other candidate, and
we probably got more votes between us than has ever been cast in CORSA
history to this day.  I won by 10, and he ran the next year, and has been
one of the iron men of CORSA's volunteer leadership.  He has my admiration.
But again, I, and I assume Tony, volunteered, because at some level, we
cared about CORSA and perceived there were specific needs we could do
something about.

We, on VV, have created a list.  The BoD cannot address and/or resolve each
of those issues. It is also unlikely they can or do know who within CORSA's
diverse membership has the time and skill sets to investigate a solution to
each issue, and thus could be/needs to be recruited.  So, if in the course
of the past discussion, something resonated with you as a "I think I could
help with that one", volunteer.  Get out of your comfort zone, out of your
box.  VOLUNTEER.  You will probably struggle with the issue, sometimes not
sleep well as you mind chews on the issue, maybe spend some coin in the
process, but it is ultimately rewarding to stretch yourself and make a
difference in something you care about.  This is true even if this pep-talk
leads you to something which is not CORSA or Corvair related.  Life is full
of opportunities to help people and organization if we but peep our heads
over the top of our box, sling a leg over and fall into the unknown.  Make a
difference: volunteer.

CORSA lives and prospers - or doesn't - on our response to the needs we have
identified.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique

PS: Sorry for the tardy response.  I've been off playing with my kids and
grandkids and other real life stuff, one of which is a responsibility my
wife and I volunteer to do.