<VV> [FC] Paint stripping on fiberglass/plastic

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Feb 23 19:29:14 EST 2009

At 15:22 2/23/2009 -0600, Daniel Monasterio wrote:
>     My 64 GB is almost paint finished,excepting  the engine access door
> which still has the original paint on it. As it has the right size for
> stripping on my caustic soda solution tank, I was tempted to strip it
> there but, have no idea if the door material is inert to caustic soda or
> not. No blaster at this time so, have two choices only: caustic soda or
> sanding. Which is the good one ?

Hello Daniel,

The engine access door for '64-65 FC's is made from glass fiber reinforced
polyester resin plastic.  The caustic soda is likely to decompose the
polyester resin.  I did a quick Google search; there was a patent reference
for a method of using caustic soda to decompose waste polyester (by
saponification) into ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid.

I would not use abrasive blasting unless you used bicarbonate of soda
(baking soda) as a media.

I suggest your remaining option of sanding.  I might suggest that you only
sand the original paint smooth, then apply a sealer, then continue with
your finish primer and paint.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI