<VV> kerosene heater

Gramps wizardhal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:24:38 EST 2009

Info from the Internet--

*COMMENT FROM A READER ON "JET A" FUEL*

Very few people know that common jet fuel is nothing but more highly refined
(read: cleaner) kerosene. It works wonderfully in kerosene heaters, stoves,
lamps, and lanterns. I'm an old retired aircraft mechanic and I've handled
thousands of gallons of jet fuel. At airports large enough to service jets,
you will find that jet fuel is very commonly available. Since the large fuel
tanks and fuel trucks at an airport are "sumped" almost daily to remove
moisture that can collect at the bottom of a tank, the few gallons drained
off frequently is considered waste or close to it. Ask the right people and
you might be able to get a few gallons for free. Just check it for a layer
of water at the bottom in case it's present.   NOTE:  Jet A is not the same
as JP-4.  Do not use JP-4 in a kerosene heater.
In northern climes, anti-icing additives are often added at the pump nozzle
instead of being pre-mixed with the fuel:  Don't get the additives when
obtaining Jet A for kerosene heater use.